Hello, I’m Chantae and I’m on a mission to try every action sport and adventure activity under the sun. Specifically, sports that involve harnessing the earth’s wind, waves, snow, or my own muscle–rather than fossil fuels. Think kitesurfing, surfing, snowboarding, bungy jumping, scuba diving, and more. I’m up for trying it all. I’m a freediver, scuba diver, and a surfer who is terrified of big waves.
Aside from Chantae Was Here, I work as full-time adventure journalist for many travel and outdoor publications. In 2020, I authored a guide to Bali and Lombok published by Moon Travel Guides. I am also the founder and editor of an ocean-themed website, The Salt Sirens.
About Chantae Was Here
Instead of scribbling “Chantae Was Here” on questionable bathroom stalls and risking arrest, I’ve taken to writing it on here. This blog serves not only as my own personal journal of adventures, but also as inspiration for others planning to see what exists beyond their front door. It’s a place to talk about action sports, sustainability, adventure, and travel. On this blog, I’ll share my in-depth tips and tricks for traveling around the world as a working adventurer.
Here are a few of my favorite posts
- Don’t Take me to the Guidebook’s Night Market in Phnom Penh
- Sex and Surfing in the Land of 1000 Mosques
- All the Lies I Told My Sister in Bali, Indonesia
- Penguin Island: Paradise for Penguins — Or Tyrannical Seagull Hell?
- The Girl’s Guide to Couchsurfing
- From Slob to Suave: How to be an Eco-Friendly Traveler
- Red Bluff Beauty: I’ve Gone Missing in Western Australia
- So you Want to Move to Fiji? Here’s What you Need to Know
- Gnaraloo, Western Australia from the Water
- The Coogee to Bondi Coastal Walk: Things I’d Never Put in a Guidebook
Action Sports and Yoga
- Scuba Diving in a Lightning Storm
- How to Stay Motivated when you’re Horrible at Something
- A Warning to Yogis Traveling to Germany
- When Kitemares Come True: My Worst Kitesurfing Moments